Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

NDCS's latet attempt to "solve" the overcrowding crisis

NDCS has just started a new attempt to avoid the declaration of an overcrowding emergency next July. They sent the following letter out to many people in the system this past week to get people to voluntarily transfer out of state. Just 2.5 months ago they were saying that anyone wanting to transfer to another state would have to pay $350 for the cost of the transport and have to get on a waitlist till someone from that state wanted to transfer here. Now they are waiving the fee and apparently they've someone convinced the other states to accept NE inmates without an exchange. I assume NE will have to pay the other states to house them so this is basically simply outsourcing NE's overcrowding problem.

How much will this cost NE? How will the transferred people complete required programming? If they can't get the same or similar programming in their "home" state will the parole board continuously deny them parole until they jam? There are a lot of questions I'd want answered before I'd consider a transfer.

Here's the letter that was sent around:

November 13, 2019

A review of the Nebraska Department of Correctional Services' (NDCS) electronic database indicates that Nebraska is not your "home" state. This may mean you were born in another state, that you lived outside of Nebraska prior to your incarceration, or that you were living in another state when you were arrested in Nebraska.

We recognize that completing all or part of your sentence in your "home" state would allow you to be closer to your family and friends. Having strong, supportive relationships is important both during and after your incarceration. So, we would like to offer you the opportunity to be considered for an interstate transfer to your "home" state at no cost to you.

If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, you may use interoffice mail to send an Inmate Interview Request form to "NDCS Chief of Operations/Interstate Transfer." In your request, tell me your "home" state and that you are willing to start the interstate transfer process. This request has to be approved by NDCS and your "home" state.

This could be an excellent opportunity for you and I encourage you to take advantage of it. Please send your request by December 31, 2019.

Diane Sabatka-Rine
Chief of Operations